The Faculty of Philosophy is steeped in history which dates back to 1661. That was the year when the Jesuit Collegium was transformed into a University with two departments: Theological and Philosophical.
At that time, the philosophical department included around 200 students. The curriculum was modeled at the Jesuit school curriculum of the 16th century, and it went through some significant changes only in the 18th century. This curriculum was based on Aristotelian system combining logic, physics and metaphysics. In addition to these disciplines, the philosophical department offered courses of History, Geography, Greek and Latin. The study program lasted three years and, after students graduated from the philosophical department, they were allowed to continue to study at the theological department.
In mid-18th century the Faculty opened the Department of Mathematics, it also offered separate courses in Polish, French, German, Geography and History.
After the Jesuit Order was abolished in 1773, the University was closed and reopened in 1784 as decreed by the Austrian emperor Joseph II. The University structure included Faculty of Philosophy alongside Law, Medical and Theological Faculties.
Philosophy served as a preparatory course for the three other “higher” faculties. In their first year students studied logic, “pure” mathematics, general and natural history and diplomacy; in the second year they studies physics, applied mathematics and more of general history; in the third year – metaphysics, natural theology and ethics, general history, numismatics, esthetics, practical mathematics, geometry and technology.
The first dean of the Faculty of Philosophy of the restored university was Ignác Martinovics (1755-1795), author of a 2-volume textbook in experimental physics. Among the professors of philosophy were Petro Lodiy (1764-1829), Kant’s follower and author of textbooks Metaphysics and Instructions in Logic, Ignác Jan Hanuš (1812-1869), Professor of Classical Philology and Esthetics Johann Wenzel Hann (1763-1816). Throughout the 19th century, the Faculty of Philosophy accepted 80 to 180 students annually. Among those students were famous Ukrainian culture activists and politicians: Yakiv Holovatskyi, Ivan Franko, Mykhaylo Pavlyk, Ostap Terletskyi, Volodymyr Navrotskyi. In 1924, the Faculty of Philosophy was divided into Humanitarian and Natural-Mathematical. The first half of the 20th century at the Faculty of Philosophy in Lviv was connected to the names of Kaziemierz Twardowski (1866-1938), representative of analytical philosophy who studied under Franz Brentano, and Roman Ingarden (1893-1970), who studied under Edmund Husserl and worked on phenomenology. After World War II, the Faculty of Philosophy was closed, instead only one Department of Philosophy has survived. At various times, the Department was headed by Professors A. S. Brahinets, B. T. Kublanov, T. Y. Starchenko, A. I. Pashuk. The scholars at the Department worked on History of Philosophy, Methodology and Logic of Scientific Cognition.
In 1991, the Faculty of Philosophy was reopened. It included Departments of Philosophy, Psychology, History and Theory of Culture, Political Science, and a newly established Department of History of Philosophy. The first dean of the renewed Faculty was Professor Andriy Pashuk. At present, the Faculty includes almost 100 lecturers, over 1,000 students and post-graduate students. Several courses are taught by visiting lecturers from Canada, USA, Germany, Austria, Poland.